He came in yesterday. It always seems like the same story. I know you take one look at him and think I’m talking about mange, but I’m not.
We took a sample of his blood and timed how long it took for the sample to clot. It is supposed to take no more than about 5 minutes. It took 17…
What does that mean?
It means, like many other animals that live off of rodents, this young fox likely has rodenticide poisoning. There are studies being done to test the connection between mange and rat poison. It is believed that when an animal is compromised with rat poison, they are more susceptible to mange.
I’m not a scientist.
I’m not a biologist.
What I am is a wildlife rehabilitator.
Like others in my profession, I am the one these animals are brought to when they are poisoned and in need of help.
I am not a doctor – not in any subject.
What I am is an intelligent human being that has witnessed , first hand, the suffering and death rodenticide has brought on MANY of our birds of prey, foxes, opossums, raccoons and other predators that normally help us control the rodent population.
This MUST STOP.
PLEASE READ this article by Laura Kiesel and PARTICIPATE in the poll. So far the poll’s results are not working in this foxes favor…
The time for change is NOW.
I don’t know if we can save this guy but we are going to do everything we can.